Pleased to report that I’m still on the wagon on Day 5 of my cold turkey Quit Smoking journey!
Day 4 was probably the hardest so far just in terms of frequency of thinking about smoking but nothing too traumatic yet.
And that’s what has got me worried – I’ve had lots of cravings so far of course but nothing too bad. I feel like I’m waiting for an intense tsunami of a crave to hit because whilst quitting hasn’t been easy so far, neither has it been as hard as I thought it would be especially doing it cold turkey (CT).
Starting to make me wonder if NRT quit efforts in the past were actually made harder by prolonging the physical addiction to nicotine? With a CT quit, within 72 hours there is no nicotine left in the body whereas most NRT programmes suggest a 6 to 12 week course of treatment.
Physically, I’m over the worst if I stick it out as I plan to; it’s a mental game at this point, more an uncomfortable itch that cannot be scratched. This can be the tricky part of a quit though on the basis that the novelty of quitting is starting to wear off already.
To keep morale up both for myself and others on their own QS journey, the helpers and hindrances since my last update have been:
- Daily yoga at a higher than usual intensity;
- Messages of support from friends, family and other bloggers – a huge help so a massive thank you to each of you that have kindly reached out 😊
- Trying to find the funny side instead of reacting negatively to normal daily challenges;
- More toothpicks!
- Paul McKenna QS hypnosis played at bedtime each night. You can get your own copy of this by clicking the image below:
- Not sleeping well due to youngest daughter being unwell this week;
- Being asked for a cig off a coworker I normally smoke with who didn’t know I’d quit;
- Habit triggers, finishing a task, making a call, after a meal;
- Random unexpected cravings – can catch me off guard!
- Being where I’d usually smoke e.g. my back garden.
I love the humour in the following quote credited to Mark Twain:
“Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I’ve done it thousands of times”.Mark Twain
Me too – hopefully now for the last time!
I do hope that this post encourages others on their own QS journey, however long or short it’s been, to take a moment today to remind themselves how fabulous they are – a total inspiration to me, each and every one of you x 🌻